Monday, January 24, 2011

this is the stuff

This is a new song to me.
If I had a theme song for this season of my life, this would be it.

A friend posted it on her blog this weekend and it struck a chord with me. The kind of chord that resonates all the way to my soul. (Disclaimer - I borrowed many ideas for this post from my sweet friend, Amy.)


Losing my keys.
Losing my phone.
Looking for my honey's keys and wallet.
"Where are my shoes, mommy?"
Lost earring.
Tight jeans.
Winter.
Getting caught by a train when we're running late.
Dog poop.
Slow computer.
Lost remote.
Paying for a bag of ice and then forgetting to pick it up at the grocery.
Rockets and their parts all over my house (I stand corrected, they're not ALL over the house).
Dust.
An empty Diet Coke case.
Planning dinner every night.
Paying bills.
Spilled dog water.
Wet socks from stepping in spilled dog water.
Never ending laundry.
Messy house.

This is the stuff
That drives me crazy
This is the stuff
That's getting to me lately

In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed

So break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations

I've been stressed lately.
Impatient.
Frazzled.
Frustrated.
Unkind.
Letting lots of little things get under my skin.
At work. Home. Church. Life.

This song is just the reminder I needed.
Instead of getting frustrated, I need to remember how blessed I am.
Blessed to serve a God who loves me no matter how impatient and unkind I am.
Blessed to have 3 healthy children.
Blessed to have a job.
Blessed to have the opportunity to be an influence in the lives of and to love all the beautiful ladies of my church.
Blessed to have a wonderful husband. Wonderful family. Wonderful friends.
Blessed to have a house. And enough toys and clothes to make it messy.
Blessed to have time with my family while I'm waiting on a long, slow train.
Blessed to have money to pay the bills. And the late fees.
So many blessings. So much for which to be thankful.

Praying that I can change my perspective.
Look for the blessings amidst the chaos and frustration and mess.
In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed.

I'm going to remember.
I'll try really, really hard to remember.

2 comments:

laurarhoades said...

I'm happy to discover your blog, Dani. Thanks for sharing this! Love you!

Amy said...

Love you, friend! :)