Monday, February 14, 2011

valentine's day...really?

Valentine's Day, 2011.
I've never really thought about it before but we don't have any long-standing family traditions for this holiday.
I am married to an incredibly romantic man.  He's probably more romantic than I am.  Poor guy.
In fact, I told him to "back off" when we were dating.  But that's material for a different day.
My sweetheart started the day off right - I had a half dozen Reese's peanut butter hearts and a sweet card.  My favorite candy and a card from our favorite line of cards from our dating days.  He handwrote fun and romantic sentiments in the card.
Work was crazy busy and we were short staffed.  I was so glad to leave at 3:00.
I had a fun luncheon with about 12 church ladies at Karen's Kitchen.  Grilled chicken on salad greens with strawberries, mandarin oranges, and strawberry vinegarette dressing.  Red velvet cupcake with lots and lots of cream cheese frosting.  It was so delish!  This is a really fun group of ladies ranging in age from 20 to 70.  My lunch hour went by way too fast.  I met 2 new friends at lunch and I felt an instant connection.  I can't wait to get to know them better through our virtual friendship (fb!).

So, I totally stink at fun, romantic gifts for my valentine.  I decided to make his favorite dinner - meatballs and pasta.  I wanted to make plenty of extra for leftovers this week.  I went way overboard and made an extra 9x13 pan of meatballs.  I offered them to a friend but she already had meatballs ready to go for dinner.  I honestly contemplated a giveway in blogland but decided I'd like to have them for a busy evening down the road.
You're so not going to believe what I did.  I put the meatballs in the oven and left.  I forgot to turn the oven on!  You can't imagine how disappointed I was when I walked in the door and it didn't smell like meatballs.  I almost started crying.  I couldn't decide if I was mad, frustrated, appalled, disappointed or just plain stupid.
Then I had to admit to Mitch that his favorite dinner would have to wait until tomorrow.  We had to be at the high school in 30 minutes for a concert.  It's a good thing he has such a great sense of humor.  He needs it!
This day just keeps getting better.
We stopped by Wendy's for a quick bite on our way to the concert.
Who schedules a middle school concert on Valentine's Day?!  I'm pretty sure it's a grouchy old maid.
We endured, I mean enjoyed, the concert :)
In an effort to redeem the evening, we got ice cream after the concert and laughed a lot.

Well, I guess I better go find the card I bought for my honey and write something sweet in it.  I have only a little bit of time before it's too late and rather embarrassing to give a Valentine's Day card.  Then it just looks like I got it on clearance after the fact.
I read this on a friend's fb tonight.  I thought it was just too cute not to share - I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. Just sayin'


1 comment:

Mitch said...

Hon, you didn't mention I didn't get any ice cream since I'm fasting from desserts. (Iknow, I did it to myself!) Ha ha!