Thursday, August 4, 2011

i'm a rockette

We've had some crazy stuff going on at our house for a couple of weeks.  I've tried to keep it on the down low but it's taken on a life of it's own.

Remember how I'm married to a rocketeer?  He's a rocket scientist who loves building all sorts of VERY LARGE detailed rockets.  We have one in the basement that is standing in the elevator shaft because it's too tall for any of our ceilings.  I know, it's crazy.

Well, anyway, somehow the Discovery Channel caught wind of his rocket building and they approached him to do a story on a special project he's been working on.

Good for you, honey.  I'm super, duper excited for you!
Long story made short.  The reporter spent quite a bit of time interviewing Mitch and took the story back to the "board".  The board decided that wasn't the story they wanted.  They want to focus on wacky rockets and rockets that soar more than 10,000 feet.  Mitch's rockets are built very heavy and sturdy and don't have a lot of lift.  He uses big, powerful engines to get these big babies off the ground so they are high power but they don't go over 10,000 feet.  I always say he builds his rockets the same way he likes his wife built - sturdy, heavy, without a lot of lift :)

Well, the interviewer, Annie, really likes Mitch and loves the connection between him being a pastor and building rockets.  She asked him if he'd be willing to build a wacky rocket.  They even threw in some money for him to work with.  I was truly and genuinely excited for him...until the details started unfolding. 

Annie and her crew are coming to our house on August 18th.  They will be filming for 10 hours.  10 hours!  Are you kidding me?!  They are anxious to see Mitch in action building his rocket and preaching.  They are excited to see our house and the church.  Specifically, they mentioned any religious artwork or icons we might have.  What?!  I was so excited for Mitch and his new found notoriety.  I'm not so excited to have a crew filming our lives for 10 hours.  I'm a very private person.  We are a very average, middle income family living in an old two story house built in 1921.  It has lots of character (read "lots of unfinished projects").  We don't have 10 hours worth of excitement to show America. 

Fortunately, Mitch loves to talk rockets and Jesus.  He'll be comfortable with Annie and the crew.  I'm using this as an opportunity to get lots of unfinished projects completed.  I'm so thankful for the friends God has given me who have rallied to help me decorate my humble home.  I'm not a gifted decorator but I have friends who are.  I absolutely do not want this to be a "staged" ordeal.  I want to be an authentic wife and mom who loves Jesus, my crazy rocketeer husband and my kids.

I've been pretty overwhelmed this week.  Hannah tried to encourage me.  She said "Mom, now you're a Rockette".  She knows how much I've longed to be a Rockette.  I have always envisioned myself as a Rockette who dances at Radio City Music Hall.  Yep, I cried for an entire hour when Oprah gave a middle aged mom her dream to dance with the Rockettes.  This isn't Oprah and I'm not dancing at Radio City Music Hall but I guess I am a Rockette :)

11 comments:

keepingthemistakes said...

That is SO EXCITING!!! I'm sure you will all ROCK (pun intended :)

amy d said...

so happy for you and your family...can't wait to see you guys on TV!!! you'll be fabulous!!!!!!!

sarajane said...

what exciting news! This will be GREAT!

Julie said...

What an amazing talent he has! So Excited for your family! Can't wait to see the episode...keep us posted!

Amy said...

"Mitch loves to talk rockets and Jesus." That's my favorite line from this whole post. :)

You will be awesome. Your house will look warm and inviting... like the HOME that it is. But August 18th isn't really the best timing, is it??

Margo said...

How very exciting! Can't wait to watch!

laurarhoades said...

This is SOOOOO cool. I really wish I could be around, but I'm celebrating with you from (very) afar!

Chad and Jody said...

Danielle! This is so awesome! I can't think of a better person to watch on tv! let us know when it airs.

rentz said...

Jake is soo excited about this! We are too! Woohoo1

Anonymous said...

TOO COOL!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

~Beki

Jennifer said...

How exciting - what an opportunity this is for Mitch and the family. Let us know when it airs on TV - I would love to come see him launch a rocket sometime. Just 5 more days! Whoot whoo