Wednesday, March 23, 2011

my friend, my hero



God has blessed me with so many wonderful friends. I'm daily amazed at my friends and their big hearts.
Many of you may know sweet Lisa Valdez. 
Isn't she phenomenally drop-dead gorgeous?!  Here's what is amazing about her - she's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.  She inspires me to be a better person.

Lisa has embarked on an amazing adventure.  Her daddy was diagnosed with an incurable blood cancer last fall.  Although the diagnosis was devestating to Lisa and her family, she has not let it slow her down.  Rather than allowing the diagnosis to cloud her sweet disposition, she has decided to do what she can to find a cure for this horrible disease.  She recently registered to run the upcoming Nike Women's Marathon in October (she happens to be running on her parent's 45th wedding anniversary - so cool!).  She is running to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's mission of blood cancer patient support and research, in honor of her daddy who is battling Stage 4 Mantle Cell Lymphoma.

(this is Lisa with her dad at Lisa's oldest son's senior night football game just shortly before her dad's diagnosis)

I want to help Lisa spread the word and raise funds for her marathon.  Please check out her fundraising page by clicking here.  You can join us in helping her raise funds for this very worthy cause.  I know we are all bombarded with requests for fundraising and we can't give to every cause that comes along.  For those of you who know our family, you know that Mitch's mom, Marilyn (Boese) McCann has been battling Leukemia for 9 years.  Mitch's grandmother, Vera Mae Williams, lost her battle to Leukemia after fighting for 25 years.  Praise the Lord for the funds raised by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Their research has improved the treatments and quality of life for so many people, including our loved ones and probably some of yours.

If you can't give financially, please pray for Lisa as she embarks on this adventure.  She is being stretched WAY out of her comfort zone.  She is truly learning what Paul spoke of in Phillipians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Her own strength and endurance may not be enough for the training ahead of her.  BUT GOD can give her the strength and endurance she needs. 

I wish I could remember where I saw this quote and who said it but I'm at a loss.  "God doesn't call the equipped.  He equips the called."  I believe this is so true for Lisa.  God will give her the funds, strength, endurance and confidence she needs to run this race.  I also know this about Lisa.  She will run this race with grace and dignity, all the while giving glory to God.  She is learning the meaning of Acts 20:24, "my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

Please visit her website, consider giving and pray for Lisa over the next 7 months. 
God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Danielle, God Bless you, dear friend. This made me cry. You are so incredibly sweet and dear to me. Thank you for this and for your undying support. Much love.
-Lisa